Tuesday, October 7, 2014

one act play (draft)


Mother: what time is he supposed to come over?  Your father should be home around 7 and dinner should be ready by 7:30.
Daughter: Probably 7.  Do you think Dad will like him?
Mother: You know your father honey, he just always wants the best for you.
Daughter: Well hopefully he doesn’t ask him a million questions.  I don’t want to scare him off.
(The doorbell rings.  The boyfriend arrives to meet the parents for the first time. Daughter rushes to check her appearance in the mirror before answering the door.)
(Daughter to the boyfriend)

Daughter:  Hi my mom’s upstairs in the kitchen, are you freaking out because I cannot stand still.
Boyfriend: Well yeah obviously.  I just want them to like me.
(The couple proceeds up the stairs into the kitchen where the mother is preparing dinner.  She turns around quickly to see the boy standing behind the dinner table waiting to introduce himself.)
Daughter: Mom, this is Alex.
Boyfriend: It’s very nice to meet you, thank you for having me. 
Mother: It’s very nice to….wow….meet you Alex, we’ve heard a lot about you….didn’t hear about the full beard and tattoos..  I hope you guys are hungry, I’ve got a very nice meal planned.  Your father should be home soon…yeah we will see how that goes….  Give Alex a tour honey.
(The couple exits the kitchen quickly the daughter almost in a panic just awaiting the arrival of her father.)
Boyfriend:  You didn’t tell them that I had tattoo’s?!  Oh my god your dad is going to hate me! Why didn’t you tell me to shave my beard?!  I should’ve worn long sleeves,  I look like a bum!
Daughter: yeah that wasn’t exactly the reaction I was hoping for… I didn’t think they were going to mind the tattoos..
(father arrives home finally.  Everyone is on edge.  Alex jumps up to greet him at the door.)
Father: (coming through the garage door) No one brought the trash cans up from the side walk? I've told you, Jenna.. Oh hello!! I forgot we were having company tonight! I'm Jim. 
Alex: (putting out his hand to meet Jim's) Hello, I'm Alex. Nice to meet you, Sir. 
Father: (glaring at his arms and raising an eyebrow, sarcastically) Wow, that's some fancy craftsmanship you got on your arms.. 
Daughter: Dad... Are you kidding me? I would never be so ru-
Alex: (cutting her off) No, Jenna, it's fine. Don't be disrespectful to your after in front of me, please. (To the parents) I know I may not appear to be your idea of an ideal boyfriend for your daughter, because you want what's best for her. You want her to be with someone who will love her, cherish her, & treat her with nothing, but the uptmost respect. I can promise you both, I can be that. That's all I have been to her since the day we started talking 3 months ago. 
Father: Well a person who cares about my daughter that much I admire..come on son let's have a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment